55° Twin Falls, ID
The Student News Site of Canyon Ridge High School

The Riverhawk Review

Breaking News
  • The Riverhawk Review now has an app! See news story below to download the app!
  • ~
  • The Riverhawk Review has an Instagram page! Click on the link in the top, left corner!
  • ~
  • Feel free to comment, participate in polls, and write letters to the student editors. Your voice matters!
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~

The Riverhawk Review

The Riverhawk Review

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The return of Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift got her start at just 14 years old. Having 10 albums, she has become a global top artist. But why all of a sudden has she become more talked about in the last 3 years?

In 2005, at just 15 years old Taylor Swift signed a 13-year recording deal with Big Machine Records, producing six albums: “Taylor Swift”, “ Fearless”, “Speak Now”, “Red”, “1989” and “Reputation”.

As part of the contract that young Taylor Swift signed, Big Machine would gain ownership of the masters for the six albums in exchange for a cash advance. In November 2018, the now 29-year-old Swift’s contract with Big Machine Record expired, she then proceeded to sign with a new global contract Republican Records owned by Universal Music Group.

In 2019 Scott Samuel “Scooter” Braun, a music executive working with Ithaca Holdings, acquired Big Machine Label Group. About a year and a half later Scooter Braun bought out the master rights to the six albums that Swift recorded with Big Machine.

Taylor Swift began rereleasing her music in 2021—starting with a rerecording of “Love Story” in February 2021, then processing to rerelease the entire album “Fearless”, titled “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)”. Swift would add in songs that she wrote at the time of the original album but didn’t make the cut, calling them “Vault Tracks”

Since the year 2021, Taylor Swift has released albums, “Red (Taylor”s Version)” (2021), “Speak Now (Taylor”s Version)” (2023), and “1989 (Taylor”s Version)” (2023) all containing vault tracks. Still left for Swift to re-record are “Reputation” and “Taylor Swift”, needing only to get back her reputation and her name back from Scooter Bruan.

After Swift left Big Machine Records, she released albums such as: “Lover” (2019), “Folklore” (2020), “Evermore” (2020), and “Midnights” (2022) These are albums that Taylor Swift owns the master rights to.

Taylor Swift’s fans, who call themselves Swifties, have taken to social media for every new announcement of new re-release albums and hints that Swift is leaving for the next one to come. Swifties have been able to push Taylor Swift to have albums hitting number one on the Billboard charts for weeks on end.

Taylor Swift has become an icon for many people all over the world, getting nicknames such as: Mother and T-Swizzle. Because mother is mothering.

In 2023, Taylor Swift released “Midnights- 3am Edition” and kicked off her “Eras Tour”. Featuring songs from every era of Taylor Swift’s story. “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” hit the big screen, being a massive hit at the box office, a movie that showcased Swift’s tour.

Since Taylor Swift departed from Scooter Braun, other major artists like Demi Lovato and Idina Manzel have dropped Braun. There are rumors that Justin Beiber and Ariana Grande have stopped working with Braun as well. Since Swift’s departure with Big Machine Record and Braun she has won 10+ Grammys and her fan base is over 50% of Americans.

Taylor Swift has become 2023’s “Person of the Year”. As shown by her song “The Man” from the “Lover” album, she didn’t need to be the man to be the man.

View Comments (1)