41° Twin Falls, ID
The Student News Site of Canyon Ridge High School

The Riverhawk Review

Breaking News
  • The Riverhawk Review now has an app! See news story below to download the app!
  • ~
  • The Riverhawk Review has an Instagram page! Click on the link in the top, left corner!
  • ~
  • Feel free to comment, participate in polls, and write letters to the student editors. Your voice matters!
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~

The Riverhawk Review

The Riverhawk Review

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

OPINION: TFSD should adopt a four-day school week

Canyon Ridge High School should adopt a four-day school week. Adopting the four-day week would lengthen school days, and make the weekend longer for students and teachers.

The four-day week would have longer school days, allowing teachers more time during the period to give students more instruction and make sure students understand the material. Longer periods could also give me and my peers more time to work on the assigned classwork. Having longer school days would also make the lunch period longer, by extension, which would give not only myself, but other students, more time to receive food from the cafeteria, or go outside the school for food. 

The main appeal of a four-day week is that students would have a three-day weekend. This would give my peers and me more time to rest during the weekend, finish any extra work, and give us more time for other activities. In other districts with a four-day week, students were shown to spend the ‘off day’ doing chores, working at a job, playing sports, or relaxing at home. They were also shown to sleep more and feel less tired than their five-day counterparts. According to Education Week, Sixty-nine percent of parents also said they preferred the four-day week, and 85% of the students agreed with them.

Teachers would also get an extra day as well. So, a three-day weekend would provide both students and teachers with more time to prepare for the week, have more work done, and have more free time. The four-day week would also help with costs, giving the school a small, but meaningful amount of extra money, letting them add more money to budgets, or hiring a new teacher. 

Overall, adopting a four-day school week would not only benefit both students and teachers at Canyon Ridge but also help with budgeting school funding.