42° Twin Falls, ID
The Student News Site of Canyon Ridge High School

The Riverhawk Review

Breaking News
  • The Riverhawk Review now has an app! See news story below to download the app!
  • ~
  • The Riverhawk Review has an Instagram page! Click on the link in the top, left corner!
  • ~
  • Feel free to comment, participate in polls, and write letters to the student editors. Your voice matters!
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~

The Riverhawk Review

The Riverhawk Review

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Opinion: The State of Israel is Illegitimate and Contradictory.

In 1948 a charter was given to European Jews to establish their own country in the Middle East, the charter was set on land known as Palestine. Palestine was what compromised much of the ancient holy land for the Abrahamic religions. The charter for the Jewish nation called Israel wasn’t given to the settlers by the Arab nation of Palestine or a representative of the Middle East. The charter was given by the European countries of France and Britain, who have a past of forcing their way into countries that don’t involve them.

A charter given by two countries over 2000 miles and a continent away has no right to draw up the lines for nations that were already sovereign, unfortunately, European colonial powers have done this for centuries. Contrary to popular belief in the West, Israel is an illegitimate state, it is land being occupied by settlers that was established by false means and should not have been created.

Before the establishment of Israel starting around World War 1  an idea of a sovereign Jewish nation began spreading. As it gained more popularity it became known as Zionism. During World War 1, in order to gain favor with Jewish citizens, many of whom were wealthy and powerful, Britain and France began using the promise of a sovereign nation to use the influence Jewish people held. And of course, after World War II Zionism exploded in popularity. However, there are a few issues with Zionism. 

First is how Zionism has turned more extreme than just wanting a home country. The Nakba was an event in 1948 after the settlement of Israel. The settlers took weapons and violently forced the Native Palestinians out of their home killing thousands and displacing ¾ of a million people. At this point, it had changed from wanting a country to a violent occupation. Since the Nakba Israel has taken more and more land, killed more Palestinians, and displaced millions. 

The second issue with Zionism is that it directly contradicts the Jewish faith. When Zionism was first introduced one of the biggest opponents to the movement was Jews. In fact, the majority of the pro-zionists weren’t even Jewish. The Jewish faith states that the “promised land” is only meant to be returned to when the Messiah allows it. There is also the belief that the promised land is not human land but God’s land and he allows the people to live there as long as they stay up to the moral standards. However, the state of Israel directly opposes these beliefs. Killing thousands of civilians and forcing them from their homes is most definitely not moral, and the state of Israel was established before God’s return.

The current conflict in Israel did not start on October 7th. This has been almost a century of violent occupation in the making. Hamas’s spokesman came out and said that 85% of the members of the militant group are orphans whose parents were killed during the Israeli occupation. Israel is an illegitimate state founded on theft murder and colonialism.