68° Twin Falls, ID
The Student News Site of Canyon Ridge High School

The Riverhawk Review

Breaking News
  • The Riverhawk Review now has an app! See news story below to download the app!
  • ~
  • The Riverhawk Review has an Instagram page! Click on the link in the top, left corner!
  • ~
  • Feel free to comment, participate in polls, and write letters to the student editors. Your voice matters!
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~

The Riverhawk Review

The Riverhawk Review

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

John Cameron: A Story of Love and Adventure

Photo Source: Cameron Trammel

From going through the Berlin Wall, living in countries such as Japan, Italy, and England, and perhaps having a life more interesting than most staff members at Canyon Ridge High School, John Cameron is truly what should be considered “The Man, The Myth,” but more importantly… A legend.

Born at RAF Mildenhall Airforce Base in Suffolk England 1964, the story of John was just starting. His English mother Corinne was a stay-at-home mother whom John likes to refer to as a “saint” and “always worked hard”. His father Kenneth, served in the United States Air Force for 22 years and fought in the Vietnam War.

John went to school in England for about nine months, which he “hated”, stating, “For Three of those months, me having a last name that’s Scottish, I had to wear a kilt. All the other kids would harass me for wearing a dress and I whooped on them. It’s where I learned to fight so well.”

Afterward, his family moved to Italy from 1970 through 1975 with a quick stop in Berlin Germany in 1972. It’s there John mentioned he went through a hole in the fence of the Berlin Wall, which at the time would have been considered an international crime to go through, to play with some East German kids. “I traded toys with them and they had matchboxes made from England.”

Later his family moved to Japan where he saw a Mig-25 Foxbat Russian Pilot Defect on September 6 1978. John and his family stayed there from 1978 through 1981. Though not as fluent in Japanese, John is still fluent in Italian.

John was no rebel in school. He said “I was a nerd. I had the highest grades and was in the National Honor Societies,” even graduating with a 4.0 GPA at Kimberley High School in 1982 after moving from Japan. Later he graduated from Boise State with a 4.15 average and was on not only the Dean’s and the Governor’s list but also on the President’s list and received plaques in gold and silver for his academic achievements.

As a young boy, John wanted to go to the Air Force Academy and become a pilot. Unfortunately, his luck ran out when he learned his eyes were bad and would only be able to fly “second seat” which is the navigator. He didn’t want to do that.

Seeing that becoming a pilot was out of the question, John went to work at Falls Brand for 26 years, a fish hatchery after college as a treatment specialist, and has worked here at CRHS for six years.

John has gone through life traveling around the world. He touched Stonehenge, The Colosseum in Rome, and went to Florence Italy to see its famous statues. He said, “I’m spoiled beyond belief and I didn’t realize that till I got older.”

However, seeing all of these places John said there’s only one place he loves the most and that’s no other than America itself. “We have the best roads, the best buildings, the best people… we are the best. Everywhere else is second-ranked,” John proudly stated.

Hearing this, one has to wonder, why Idaho? For a man who’s been around the world, it seems crazy he’d end up here. John’s answer? His Father. John proudly said, “My Father’s from here and I love it. My Dad’s side of the family is from here, my family is here, and the rest are all in England.”

John works at CRHS as a security guard because his grandchildren go here he commented “I’m keeping a hand of protection over them.”

Like most people, John is no stranger to love. Being married to his wife for 36 years, he met her at the old Shopco building where he was putting away old camo clothing on layaway. It’s there he laid eyes on his now-wife Melody and asked her out to coffee and pie. Maybe the best part of this is that only three months later they got married saying, “She was the right one. I knew it and she knew it.”

What about a life motto? John Cameron’s life motto isn’t just one he tells himself but one he’s told his kids growing up. “Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do something. In this country, you can do whatever you set your mind to.”

What would he change about this world? It’s here John gave the best answer of all saying, “I hate, hate. I’d gladly give up my job to get rid of hate. The hate speech, hate on hate killing. I hate, hate.”

John Cameron is not just CRHS’ security Guard. He’s a man with a story of love, adventure, true patriotism, and an inspiration to others. To whoever has time out of their day and is looking for an interesting person to chat with, the only reasonable and good suggestion is John. You won’t regret it.