60° Twin Falls, ID
The Student News Site of Canyon Ridge High School

The Riverhawk Review

Breaking News
  • The Riverhawk Review now has an app! See news story below to download the app!
  • ~
  • The Riverhawk Review has an Instagram page! Click on the link in the top, left corner!
  • ~
  • Feel free to comment, participate in polls, and write letters to the student editors. Your voice matters!
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~

The Riverhawk Review

The Riverhawk Review

Search for CRHS’ spirit hammer still ongoing

Photo Source: The Riverhawk Review Staff
ESPN’s Skubie Mageza with the spirit hammer at the spring 2023 Unified Basketball pep rally

At every assembly, there is one commonality: the Canyon Ridge High School spirit hammer. During the assemblies of the 2023-2024 school year, however, the hammer has been absent. 

The hammer, is large in appearance, around 30 lbs, with a crimson red handle that matches the Riverhawk insignia on the side of it. 

The hammer went missing sometime over the 19th or 20th of August, last seen in Mr. Micky Carter’s room, a CRHS teacher and StuCo advisor.

The hammer was first noticed missing the 22nd of August while the StuCo classes were prepping for the upcoming assembly on the 25th of August.

“The class of ‘25 and ‘24 were planning the Homecoming Assembly and planning to have the first spirit off for the hammer, so they went looking for it…Mr. Carter didn’t have it,” said Mrs. Kristy Oberg, a CRHS teacher and Student Council advisor. 

The last place the hammer was seen was in Mr. Carter’s room on his shelf during the beginning of the year, since the class of 2025 won the hammer during the final spirit assembly. 

“It was here and I can say with certainty and without a doubt it was here the first few days of school. I had a couple freshmen who asked me about it, and I explained what [the hammer] was,” said Mr. Carter.

This is not the first time the hammer has gone missing. In previous years, the hammer went missing but was found shortly thereafter. For example, the student body vice president of the 2020-2021 school year put the hammer back into the back of his car, and two students took the hammer and took pictures with it as a joke, but the hammer was returned in both of these instances. 

The Spirit Stick has been repaired, which will hopefully act as a Spirit Hammer’s replacement. 

“We’ve got the Spirit Staff fixed…our hope is to use that this year as our spirit trophy until we can determine what our next plan is regarding the hammer,” said Mrs. Oberg.

“The Spirit Stick has been mended, and people kinda like it,” said Mr. Carter.

As of right now, there are no suspects as to who stole the hammer.

Both advisors would like the hammer back “We kinda want it back, it means a lot to the school,” said Mr. Carter.

The reward for finding and turning in the hammer is quite substantial: the student who turns in the hammer to either advisor is given an hour lunch with a friend and Chick-Fil-A gift cards.