46° Twin Falls, ID
The Student News Site of Canyon Ridge High School

The Riverhawk Review

Breaking News
  • The Riverhawk Review now has an app! See news story below to download the app!
  • ~
  • The Riverhawk Review has an Instagram page! Click on the link in the top, left corner!
  • ~
  • Feel free to comment, participate in polls, and write letters to the student editors. Your voice matters!
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~
  • ~

The Riverhawk Review

The Riverhawk Review

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

RIDE TFT-New public transit launched in Twin Falls, Idaho

RIDE TFT, Twin Falls’ first public micro-transit system, became available on July 1, 2023. RIDE TFT, or Twin Falls Transit, operates within city limits and is an alternative to fixed bus routes due to the city’s layout and the lack of density.

“The goal remains the same: to serve those individuals in Twin Falls that do not have adequate transportation options due to various factors including age, disability, and financial constraints,”  said Mandi Thompson, Community Relations, Grant Director, and Assistant to the City Manager of Twin Falls.

To better suit individuals needing a public transport system, RIDE TFT is defined as a demand-response service offering door-to-door accessibility where drivers can pick up riders from their exact location. Clientele can schedule rides up to seven days in advance and access the service via the dispatch line or through the “RIDE TFT” app. The service is operable from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on weekdays and 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Saturdays. 

“The community that needs this type of service is either elderly, handicapped, low income, doesn’t have a car, relies on family for rides, and otherwise wouldn’t be able to get around town. Those are the people trying to serve,” stated Ruth Pierce, Twin Falls City Mayor. 

However, Maxine Durand, Transportation coordinator for the City of Twin Falls, wants the public to know that RIDE TFT is intended to help the community, regardless of who uses it. “The truth is it’s for everybody, and we want to work towards making sure people know that,” Durand commented.

Hired on June 20th, 2023, Maxine Durand has worked with the city council to start the program. As public transit moves forward, Durand and the Twin Falls City Council intend to grow the program, provide more vans and drivers, and extend beyond city limits to serve more of the community. 

Twin Falls has been planning to implement a public transport system for over a decade, knowing that once the city’s population hits 50,000, federal funding would become available. When CSI announced the closing of “Trans IV,” a sister transport service, on September 30, 2022, the Twin Falls City Council began discussing options for transit the following year.

RIDE TFT is currently being funded by a grant from the Idaho Transportation Department with $3 million for the first two years. Once the pilot period ends, Funding will be supplied by federal, state, and local contributors.

Download the Ride Twin Falls Transit app at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.downtownerapp.twinfalls  or call 208-974-7433 for service.

View Comments (1)